The Lord awakened me this morning in meditation on the motto’s of “In God We Trust” and “One Nation Under God” asking, DO WE and ARE WE? To trust in means that one believes in, and when one believes in someone, they follow the patterns of, the outline of, or the teachings thereof. When one is under the governance or authority of someone, it means that they adhere to, are bound by, and submit to the rules, principles, guidelines, and the teachings thereof. So for the record again, DO WE or ARE WE?
That one question led me to pondering such thoughts as:
- I wonder if we, as a nation of people, really know what making such a BOLD declaration means..
- I wonder if we, as a nation of people, really know what the expectations are, of such a people that make such BOLD declarations..
- I wonder if we, as a nation of people, really know what God expects of such people, who make such a BOLD declaration…
When I think about the depth and the seriousness of making such a BOLD declaration, I don’t believe we realize that God then looks at us through the lenses of His word. He doesn’t look at us merely through what’s deemed good or bad, because that changes with us, depending upon our situations and circumstances. No, God looks at us through the lenses of His grace, His word, His imputed holiness and righteousness…
- “In God We Trust” and “One Nation Under God” are more than mere “vision statements,” “catch phrases,” and “snappy titles!”
- “In God We Trust” and “One Nation Under God” are more than mere mantras, slogans or themes of Theme Park..
When a nation of a people make such BOLD declarations of “In God We Trust” and “One Nation Under God,” these declarations signify that we have made and that we make, a daily and lifelong commitment to live, govern and carry ourselves according to God and His word. This becomes WHY WE DO WHAT WE DO!
But wait a minute, then WHY ARE WE DOING WHAT WE’RE DOING, AS A NATION?
- Such BOLD declarations become the modus operandi, (the distinct pattern or method of operation) of our everyday lives and living..
- Such BOLD declarations become the tenet (a principle, belief, or doctrine generally held to be true) on which our words and our actions hang…
We’ve even gone so far as to stamp and to print this BOLD declaration on our currency, and we’ve gone so far as to remember and recite such a BOLD declaration in our pledge of allegiance.
But wait a minute, I get it, perhaps these are only mere words to many, with no true heartfelt meaning? If that’s the case, you may want to stop using the currency, and stop reciting the pledge of allegiance, because God’s looking at you swipe and God’s listening to you recite….
I’m reminded of the words penned by the prophet Isaiah, and I use the Holman Christian Standard Bible version for clarity’s sake…
“The Lord said: Because these people approach Me with their mouths to honor Me with lip-service (empty BOLD heartless declarations) yet their hearts are far from Me (they live the life I give them with no regard for Me nor My word), and their worship consists of man-made rules learned by rote (mechanical or habitual repetition of something to be learned), Therefore I will again confound these people with wonder after wonder. The wisdom of their wise men will vanish, and the understanding of the perceptive will be hidden. –…Isaiah 29:13